The Triangle Down Syndrome Network has plans in the works for World Down Syndrome Day.
Please check back as we get closer to March 21st.
What is World Down Syndrome Day?
World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD), 21 March, is a global awareness day which has been officially observed by the United Nations since 2012.
Why 21 March?
The date for WDSD being the 21st day of the 3rd month, was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
Reproduced from WORLD DOWN SYNDROME DAY website (www.worlddownsyndromeday.org)
TDSN’s World Down Syndrome Day Outreach Project
Providing resources and support to new and expectant families is our most important work. In order to reach these families, we rely heavily on healthcare providers to connect families with TDSN. On March 21, we are saying thank you to area pediatricians and obstetricians with a gift bag full of treats and resources. These resources will include brochures for the Parent’s First Call program as well as information on best practices for delivering a diagnosis of Down syndrome.
We need you to make the World Down Syndrome Day Outreach Project a success! Volunteer to drop off the gift bags to area doctors. If you would like to volunteer, please email email@example.com.
Random Acts of Kindness
Join the National Down Syndrome Congress and six other national Down syndrome organizations in promoting “Random Acts of Kindness” on WDSD. You and others are welcomed to participate in spreading joy and raising awareness. Random acts of kindness do not have to be time consuming or labor intensive. They can be done any where and by anyone and they leave a lasting impact. It is very easy!
- You can wear a t-shirt, a button, or a sticker that says something about Down syndrome.
- You can choose an act of kindness, some examples are:
- Leave an umbrella on a bus stop that doesn’t a have cover
- Leave bubbles on a park bench
- Leave popcorn/candy in a Ziploc on the Red box
- Give your UPS man a Cookie
- Leave blue and yellow Gatorade at the Skate-park
- Leave blue and yellow Frisbees at the Dog Park
- Leave a diaper,wipes, and a note “You’re doing GREAT MOM!” in a diaper changing station in a restaurant
- Leave treats for both your garbage workers and our postal carrier
- Give a bag of candy to the fast food worker through the window
- Give a Starbucks gift card to a stranger
- Leave a $5 gas card + pack of gum on a gas pump
- Leave a pack of nice pens for a Server at a restaurant
- Send a dessert over to another table anonymously at a restaurant
- Leave a coloring book & crayons on the bus
- Leave a movie gift card in the back of a book at the library, “Now go see the movie!”
- Leave money in/taped to a Vending Machine at the hospital
- Leave sunglasses, gum, and trail mix on a windshield in the hospital employee parking lot for an ‘after work snack’
- Leave a $5 Grocery gift card taped to the “21” kid/car shopping cart
- Print a WDSD postcard and give it out or place it with your Random Act.
- Post a photo of you or your act of kindness and use the hashtag #WDSD18.
For more information please visit https://worlddownsyndromeday.org/random-acts-kindness