Triangle Down Syndrome Network invites you to
Down Syndrome Advocacy Day
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
North Carolina General Assembly
16 West Jones Street
Raleigh, North Carolina
Statistics show that one in five Americans have a disability. Individuals with disabilities are the country’s number one minority group but also the country’s most under-served and under-represented population. State legislators are responsible for creating policies that impact every aspect of our lives. Unfortunately, by not having adequate representation when decisions are made, individuals with Down syndrome are not often considered.
It is up to advocates in the Down syndrome community to help legislators be better prepared to represent our interests when crafting legislation. Down Syndrome Advocacy Day is a perfect opportunity to share your knowledge about Down syndrome with elected officials in the state capital.
There are two simple requirements for participating:
1. A passion for improving the lives of individuals with Down syndrome; and
2. A willingness to share your successes and challenges as they relate to Down syndrome.
Registration has closed.
- No experience is necessary
- Online training and resources will be provided
- Speak with state senators and state representatives
- Distribute information packets
- Advance registration is required
- Registered attendees receive a FREE t-shirt to wear at Down Syndrome Advocacy Day!
Families, children, self-advocates (individuals with Down syndrome), direct care providers, and professionals who serve the Down syndrome community are encouraged to attend!
TDSN had 60 advocates from 10 counties participating in the first Down Syndrome Advocacy Day in 2017. Advocates met with legislators and toured the legislative building. ABC 11 spent the morning with TDSN and our families and provided great coverage. You can watch the 2017 news story here.
How to prepare for Down Syndrome Advocacy Day:
If you are unable to participate in Down Syndrome Advocacy Day but would like to help, you can make a tax-deductible donation please click here!
Advocacy and Outreach Director
Triangle Down Syndrome Network